Sunday, May 11, 2008

The answer is blowin' in the wind

Today I got a phone call from the apartment complex office. I'm getting ready to move to the other side of the property (and take on a roommate), so it was an expected call. Until the lady started speaking.

Apartment Lady: Have you looked outside today?
Wordnerdy: Noooo...
AL: You know, there's been a lot of wind today.
WN: Oh yeah, I saw that. I thought it looked kind of pretty.
AL: We're trying to figure out who the owner of a car is.
WN: Oh. Why?
AL: A tree fell on a car.
WN: Is it a gold Malibu?
AL: Yes, it is. I'm sorry about your car. We've sent maintenance out to put cones around the damage. You need to go outside and call your insurance company.

It's now how I wanted to start the day. But I am so glad I finally called Progressive last night.

Mostly, I just laughed about the whole thing. It's funny in an ironic way. And it wasn't as bad as it could have been, by far. (There's no Your car will never run again-type obvious damage.)

Here's a photo, thanks to Kinappie.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your car. Having suffered the same experience I know a little about what you are going through. On the bright side, at least it wasn't raining.

Wordnerdy said...

Hell yeah! I'm going to wally world to get a tarp tonight. I used to have two tarps, for camping. Don't know where they are now.

Atypical California Girl said...

Oh man.
It's good that you have managed to maintain a sense of humor.
A couple years ago when I had the engine coils blow and a tire blow out on the freeway and then another tire go flat (all with a few weeks of each other and of course just a couple months after the warranty expired) I was ready to chuck the car altogether.
Of course, several hundred dollars and a couple years later, I am still driving the same car.
Best of luck!