Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Our house is a very, very, very fine house

Hello, avid reader(s?)!

This is a first. Today, I'm blogging from home, using the roommate's computer and wireless card. (Thanks, work!) I haven't blogged from home since I left Jacksonville, which was more than a year ago. Wow. It's been a year.

In fact, I'm in the new apartment. That's kinda funny that I never once got online at the old apartment. It seems so weird. But, that's the way the budget crumbles sometimes.

Today, I put together the cheapest, crappiest bookcase I've bought yet. The thing is a real piece of shit. It came with plastic "screws"! Plastic?! How will it hold anything? In fact, the top shelves have a weight limit of 30 pounds each, which I'm sure I've surpassed. (Wordnerds love books, you know.) The one with real screws can hold up to 40 pounds per adjustable shelf, 50 pounds on the stationary shelf and 150 pounds on the bottom shelf. It's not like I bought the thing at Wally World; it was from Target! Ah well. At least I've emptied another six boxes.

The living room is just about complete. All I really have to do now is go through the newspapers ... ugh. And my bedroom is pretty well finished, too. Once I get a few more organizers for the office, the remaining boxes there can be emptied. And roommie has tomorrow off, so it's off to Tar-zhey.

A tree fell on my car on Mother's Day. The tree beat up my car, but nearly as bad as what the vandal in Jacksonville did to Emmie, the Saturn. That poor car was raped. Anyway, I've been biking to work for the better part of a month. I'd like to use the bike for small grocery trips and such, but alas, I have no baskets. Also, the bike's a tad big for me. So I'm getting a new one.

I can't decide between two: the Electra Townie 21 or Trek 7200 WSD. Both have the gearing and braking of a mountain bike, but step-through frames and wheels like a cruiser. They'll both end up around $500 when I add everything on. But the Townie salesman was super nice and that brand has more accessories available, while the Trek has better components. I prefer quality, so I'd like to go with the Trek. Yet I have that "human connection" with the Townie guy, and those accessories are so darn cute. Maybe I'll make a hybrid of a hybrid commuter bike: Get the Trek but add Townie accessories (rack, basket, bell).

The other problem: Only the Trek is within biking distance. Every other shop is at the beach. Over big bridges. And many miles north or south, as well as east.

Two nights ago, I finally paid for a Match.com subscription. Or, membership. Whatever. I've contacted a few guys whom I saw when I first signed up. At least one is interested in talking. Woo-hoo! They're both quite cute, both 33, both love their jobs. One lives nearby, the other is in Winter Park. Eek. One is a Scorpio and the other is a Virgo, both of which are signs that I get along with famously. (Especially Virgos.) So that's exciting. We'll see how it goes. As long as they meet close enough for me to bike.

Greysa's doing fine. She's as starving and as deprived as always, the way she tells it. But now she has someone else to give her love and attention, as long as she's in the mood. Greysa seems to "tolerate" the roommate, not much more.

The only problem with the new apartment, the one that I moved across property for, rather than down the hall, is that is has a real bug problem. I'm sick of these things. I kill more than one each night. The pest guy has sprayed twice, and will do it again this week. I've set out roach motels. I've bought spray.

They're crawling out from under the bar. I've even seen some in the dishwasher -- ewwww! I really want maintenance to come by and rip up the bar, drop a bug bomb or spray the hell out of them, patch whatever hole they're coming from, and seal down the bar. (The bar isn't sitting flat right now.) It's so disgusting. And I'm beyond over it.

I guess that catches me up on quite a bit. Once we get Internet at home (and I get my next new toy, a laptop), I'll post photos from the past year, like John Denver the snowman, cakes I've baked, the new apartment view, etc. Oh, and photos of Greysa. Of course.

No comments: