Sunday, August 12, 2007

Congress shall make no law ...

Early deadline, so I'm cruising the Web.

www.newseum.org

I've just been checking out the virtual tour of the new Newseum. Oh, I'm drooling all over the keyboard. If I make it to a D.C. paper in the next few years, or whenever, I think I'll be a Newseum volunteer.

It was cool enough to walk by the building in July and see the entire text of the First Amendment carved into granite, facing Pennsylvania Avenue. I can't wait to get on the first floor and see Pulitzer Prize photos, or the second-floor Ethics Center. Just reading about the fourth-floor 9/11 gallery gave me chills. And then there's the two-level shopping area, with all sorts of newsy stuff.

I can read an analysis of newspaper front pages, and find this little gem: "Florida Today, of Melbourne, echoes financial hysterics with 'Credit worries sink Dow' and is one paper guaranteed to mention that the 'Shuttle arrives at space station today.' " (The founder of Florida Today and USA Today is also the founder of the Freedom Forum, which is part of Newseum. But I'm not that guy.)

I can see front pages from all aroudn the world. I know how to get to Newseum from every airport and which Metro lines to take. But I can't find when the @#$%*^& place opens!

That's why it's good to have a friend in The District who is as eager to visit Newseum as I. He can read the City Paper and let me know.

No comments: