Thursday, October 18, 2007

Istanbul was Constantinople, now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople

PONTE VEDRA BEACH -- Hello from (slightly outside of) Jacksonville! It's my second night here and I'd have checked many more things off my to do list had I not been sick this morning. Ah well. A great night at The Pearl is better than anything.

My baby bro and I went to our favorite bar and killed the place. I was so happy to be there; I was smiling the whole night and admiring all the new stuff on the walls. The DJ played everything I requested and gave me a whole list of music to find.

The craziest thing was that one of the bartenders -- who's been serving me beer since late 2002 -- told my brother, a friend of his, that I'm hot. Really? All of a sudden? After nearly five years? Maybe it was the smile. Maybe it was the black pants, black tank and grey heels. Whatever. He kept saying things like, "Josh, mind if I'm your brother-in-law" and asking me if I'd like to move to Oregon. It was ... interesting. The part that still blows me away is that I've "known" this guy longer than my brother has. Hell, I introduced Josh to the bar!

The only downside was that when we left, someone had broken into Josh's car. He called the insurance company and I called the cops. And I went back inside for water, whereupon the DJ told me it's a bad neighborhood. I replied, "it's coming back, it's not as bad as it used to be, oh, and I used to live around here. Don't start with me about the dangers of the neighborhood."

I crashed at my brother's house, so very happy with sore feet from dancing like crazy to beautiful indie music.

Today, instead of driving around Jax to do my 10,000 errands, I slept, puked, slept, and finally awoke to pack up dishes, crystal, and random other things to take back to Melly. Mom's going to be a travel nurse, if she can ever get the contract together. And maybe by Turkey Day I'll have the money to get all my future furniture!

Maybe, too, at Thanksgiving I'll hit the Pearl three nights instead of one. Oh, wait, maybe I have to adjust the beer intake. Or the meds. Or whatever. Must get my indie fix!!!

1 comment:

Jim Thomsen said...

I really wish you could drink in such a way that it doesn't derail your days after.