Monday, October 8, 2007

Monday you could fall apart, Tuesday, Wednesday break my heart

When I'm at home, I think of lots of things to blog about. When I'm at work (and have Internet access), I forget everything.

In the last few weeks, I've taken on more responsibility at work. I'm now designing inside wire pages. This week, I'm working on state pages four of five days.

Tonight was rough. Maybe because I had the curmudgeonly fellow on my back. It's so hard to work with him. I think it's a generational difference in work style and criticism style. But in any event, I always reach a point in the night when I want to kill him. It came earlier than normal tonight.

The thing I hate about taking on new work is the slowness everything gets. I suddenly feel like I don't know what I'm doing. I change things throughout the night. I can't get things to work right. I get started later and later, and rush to finish and can't get it done without lots of help. And I don't get to edit and write headlines.

In other news, though, later this week I'll be going out on the town with a reporter friend. We both need to move on from our obsessions and find new, mature, males who are worthy of our attention. And wouldn't you know, today I saw somebody in the newsroom who is incredibly handsome. We have totally opposite schedules. I don't even know who he's under in the newsroom, whether it's opinion or watchlist or what. But he's hot. And I don't date co-workers. Hm.

And I also need not get into obsessions. Why do it? Effin A. I don't think I want a boyfriend, until I think about how nice it would be to talk to someone regularly who cares about my work day (at least enough to let me vent), cares about my dreams, holds me tight when I feel bad, loves my cat, my cat loves him, who'll make me dinner and let me spoil him, who wants to spend time with me and doesn't care how many medications I take. Who just supports me and loves me. Yeah, I want a boyfriend.

Al Green said it best: I'm so tired of being alone. And that's just it. I feel alone. Maybe if I didn't feel alone and isolated, I wouldn't feel this need for a boyfriend. But the other side is: Why fight the urge? I know I want to have a long-term relationship someday, I know I want to have kids someday; if today's the first day (of my life, thanks Bright Eyes), why not let it be (thanks Beatles). Hm, how long can I keep up the music lines?

I'm tired. I'll stop now. Any advice from my two readers?

5 comments:

Angela said...

You're adorable! The song "Let It Be" has been a theme song of mine. I have a philosophy about relationships that's somewhere in between waiting for it to find you and going out there and looking for it. But I think that if you're throwing the wish out into the universe that it will come to you, perhaps more quickly than you think. Best of luck! God knows that obsessions are draining. You're wise to focus on you, the moment and your future.

Atypical California Girl said...

Don't think of it as obsession. Think of it as infatuation.
That sounds much less dangerous.

Lou said...

You and I are so alike.

Wordnerdy said...

Re Angela: A good friend and I had an argument in high school over which was the greatest Beatles song: Let It Be or Yesterday. She picked Let It Be. I took Yesterday. And it's funny, I've always looked at life in the same perspective as Yesterday, but I can't get to the one in Let It Be. So it's easy to see why we, or at least I, picked each song.

Jim Thomsen said...

Do. Not. Date. Co. Workers.

My favorite Beatles song is "Why Don't We Do It In The Road?"

What does that mean?